State Mental Health Treatment Facilities
North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center (NFETC)
Sending Items To A Patient
Patients often want personal items to make their stay at NFETC more comfortable. Our desire is to ensure an orderly process by which approved items can be sent to a Patient.
NFETC provides all Patients standard clothing
- 1 Bathrobe (belt attached)
- 2 Pajama sets
- 7 Underwear (boxers or briefs)
- 7 Undershirts (white)
- 7 Socks (pairs)
- 2 Collared shirts (maroon, blue)
- 3 Colored T-shirts (green, black and tan)
- 2 Sweatshirts (black and gray)
- 1 Sweat pants (gray)
- 3 Jeans trousers
- 2 Khaki trousers
- 3 Shorts (blue, black and khaki)
- 2 Athletic shoes (black and white)
- 1 Shower shoes (as needed)
- 1 Ball cap (black)
- 1 Cold weather cap (fall/winter only)
- 1 Jacket (fall/winter only)
- 1 Pair of Gloves (fall/winter only)
- 1 Swim trunks (open pool season only)
Upon discharge, Patients keep 1 ball cap, 1 pair of jeans, 1 collared shirt, 1 pair of athletic shoes, all underwear, t-shirts, and socks. If issued, the cold weather cap, shower shoes, and gloves are also given to the Patients.
Patients do not keep any money on their person. Each Patient's money is deposited into an account for his use. Items purchased at the canteen are deducted from his account. The quickest way to send money to a Patient is by money order or cashier's check. Personal checks are permitted but please remember it may take 14 days to clear a personal check with a bank. This means there may be a delay in the Patient receiving his money. Any amount may be sent so long as there is a verifiable name and address of the sender.
Should visitors want to personally leave money for a Patient, our accounting department is open from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Security can accept money for Patients on weekends and holidays.
To ensure items are consistent with the Patient's needs (treatment and comfort) we have developed a package permit system. Patients may only receive in a package those items listed on the back of the package permit form (see below), however, the recovery team may approve special items to improve his treatment. Please limit packages in size and content.
All items must be pre-approved by the Patient's recovery team. Before sending a package, please contact the Patient's counselor (call 352-264-8176 or mail to c/o NFETC, 1200 NE 55th Blvd. Gainesville, FL 32641-2759).
Items not listed on the package permit form will be returned to sender or placed in storage. The Patient must arrange with the sender to either pick-up the item or have it shipped out at their expense. Food items will not be returned but destroyed and so noted in the Patient's property file. Violation of the package permit authorization will result in packages being refused and returned to that sender.
The package permit form outlines the size requirements for radios and tape players. CDs and CD players are not permitted. We ask that you make sure that any radio or tape player sent to a Patient does NOT have recording capability. Because of Florida laws on confidentiality we must restrict tape recording devices on campus. Electrical cords must be permanently attached and not removable. Only factory recorded tapes are allowed (no home recordings).
Patients may be allowed the use of certain specialty items which are controlled and subject to approval by the recovery team. Included are musical instruments, handicrafts and recreation equipment, such as racquets and baseball gloves. Please do not send any of these items until written approval from the recovery team is obtained.
Prohibited Items (do not send)
- Clothes and clothes hangers
- Compact Discs (CDs)
- Electric fans
- Extension cords
- Female apparel
- Food items
- Hot plates
- Internet-enabled gaming or device-to-device communication electronics
- Mobile phones
- Obscene or violent magazines and books
- Photographs of Patients
- Tobacco products
- Toiletry or shaving items
- Video games
Patients may purchase telephone calling cards from our Patient bank. Telephone calling cards from other sources are not permitted.
Permitted Items (maximum allowed are in parentheses)
- Books (5)
- Cassette tapes (pre-recorded factory sealed-non-rated) (5)
- Envelopes/writing paper (no metal or Plastic)
- Magazines (violent, obscene or sexually explicit are not allowed)
- Newspapers (only national or local newspaper)
- Pens/pencils (pens-no metal or springs/pencils-not mechanical) (2)
- Photos (violent, obscene, sexually explicit or photos of the Patient are not allowed)
- Prescription glasses and case (2)
- Ring (non-jeweled wedding Band) (1)
- Stamps (10)
- Sunglasses (plastic lens and frames) (1)
- Wallet (no photo holders or clear plastic inserts) (1)
- Watch (valued under $50) (1)
Approved on a case-by-case basis
- Handicrafts, art supplies, games, puzzles
- Medical items (must have doctor approval)
- Musical instruments
- Religious items (e.g. prayer rugs, oils)
- Special grooming or shaving items