About the Gold Seal Quality Care Program
In 1996, the Florida Legislature established the Gold Seal Quality Care program to acknowledge child care facilities and family day care homes that are accredited by recognized agencies and whose standards reflect quality in the level of care and supervision provided to children.
In addition, the Legislature established provisions for Gold Seal providers participating in the subsidized child care programs, School Readiness and Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK), to receive a higher reimbursement per child, than providers not receiving a Gold Seal designation. Since then, the Legislature has revised the maximum amount of the reimbursement. Currently, the rate differential cannot exceed 20% above the reimbursement rate established by the local early learning coalition.
In 1999, the Legislature revised the program to provide tax incentives through the Department of Revenue or county tax appraiser for participating in the Gold Seal Quality Care Program.
In 2004, VPK legislation was passed and signed into law. This bill requires participating child care facilities and homes to maintain quality care accreditation and higher education standards for staff.
In 2010, the Legislature revised the program requirements in an effort to establish consistency and transparency for both the accreditation agencies and all providers seeking recognition. The new law required the Department to adopt rules that establish Gold Seal Quality Care accreditation standards for child care programs, enforcement action for providers with violations, as well as rules for approving accrediting associations for participation in Gold Seal Quality Care program.
A Gold Seal Quality Care program designation is accepted for a private prekindergarten provider to be eligible to participate in VPK. For other VPK eligibility options, please click here for information on the Voluntary Prekindergarten Program.
Approved Accrediting Agencies
The following is a current list of approved agencies participating in the Gold Seal Quality Care Program.
- ACSI - Association of Christian Schools International
- ACTS - Association of Christian Teachers and Schools
- AdvancED Florida SACS **
- APPLE - Accredited Professional Preschool Learning Environment **
- COA - Council of Accreditation (as part of multi-program organizations) **
- FCCPSA - Florida Coalition of Christian Private School Accreditation
- FLOCS - Florida League of Christian Schools
- GAACS - Green Apple Accreditation of Children's Services **
- NAC - National Accreditation Commission for Early Care and Education Programs *
- NAEYC - National Association for the Education of Young Children *
- NAFCC - National Association for Family Child Care *
- NCPSA - National Council for Private School Accreditation
- NECPA - National Early Childhood Program Accreditation *
- NLSA - National Lutheran School Accreditation (FL/GA District)
- UMAP - United Methodist Association of Preschools
* Provides accreditation for birth-five programs with school-age/enrichment programs as part of the child care program operating under the same child care license.
** Provides accreditation for birth-five programs with school-age/enrichment programs as part of the child care program operating under the same child care license and for stand-alone school-age/enrichment programs not attached to an early learning program.