About Family Child Care Home Registration
Currently, Florida law requires that anyone who provides child care in their home for more than one unrelated family must be either registered or licensed through the Department of Children and Families. Please note that you must complete the registration process and receive a registration letter from DCF prior to providing child care. Florida Statutes [§ 402.313, F.S.] provides an alternative to licensure for family day care home providers, which includes registering annually with the state, unless licensure is required under a specific county ordinance or resolution. While most counties do not require licensure of family day care homes, many family day care homes choose to be licensed to demonstrate they meet the state's minimum health and safety standards.
Registration in the following counties is not permitted as they have a local ordinance requiring Licensure.
- Palm Beach
- Saint Johns
Even though registered family day care homes are not inspected by the Department, they are required to provide information annually as part of the application process, to include:
- The name of the operator.
- The number of children served (not to exceed capacity as defined by § 402.302(7), Florida Statutes).
- Proof of written plan to provide at least one competent adult to be available to substitute for the operator in an emergency.
- Proof of screening and background checks.
- Proof that immunization records for the children are kept current.
- Proof that each parent has been provided a copy of a completed Health and Safety Checklist.
- Proof of completion of the 30-hour family day care home training course as well as an approved 5-hour course in early literacy and language development of children ages birth through five years. The 35 hours of training must be completed prior to registration.
Please be advised that you must complete the registration process and receive a registration letter from DCF prior to providing child care.
Thinking About Becoming a Registered Family Day Care Home Provider?
If you are thinking about becoming a Registered Family Day Care Home provider for the FIRST TIME, please click the link below:
Intent to Apply
If you are a new applicant for a Family Day Care Home Registration, please click on the Intent to Apply link below and complete the form. If you should have any questions regarding this process, please call 850-488-4900.
If you are currently a Registered Family Day Care Home provider and wish to RENEW your registration, please download and print all of the documents listed below. Complete all forms and mail them all together with your $25 application fee to:
Department of Children and Families
Office of Childcare Regulation
1317 Winewood, Blvd., Bldg. 6, Room 3089A
Tallahassee. Florida 32399