Tuition and Fee Exemption
Florida provides tuition and fee exemptions to eligible young adults. The waiver is authorized at State (public) Universities, Colleges (public) in the Florida College System, and School District Workforce Education Programs.
Fee exemptions are offered to students if:
- He or she is or was at the time he or she reached age 18 in the custody of the Department of Children and Families;
- He or she was adopted from the Department of Children and Families after May 5, 1997;
- He or she is or was at the time of reaching age 18 in the custody of a relative under s. 39.5085, F.S.;
- He or she is or was at the time of reaching age 18 in the custody of a non-relative under s. 39.5085, F.S.; or,
- He or she was placed in a guardianship by the court after spending at least 6 months in the custody of the department after reaching 16 years of age.
**The exemption remains valid until the student reaches 28 years of age. See § 1009.25(1)(c), (d), Fla. Stat.
For questions regarding eligibility or how to obtain a Tuition and Fee Exemption form, CF-FSP 5220, contact your local Community Based Care Lead Agency or call Florida’s Independent Living Resource Center.
Florida’s Independent Living Resource Center serves as an information clearinghouse to address all areas of Independent Living Services.
CALL: 1-844-ILYOUTH (1-844-459-6884)