FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
March 28, 2017
State & Local Leaders to Kick Off Child Abuse Prevention Month
Community Kickoff Event for Pinwheels for Prevention Campaign
TAMPA – Each year, the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) investigates over 200,000 allegations of child abuse and neglect. Locally, over 2,000 children in Hillsborough County experience verified abuse or neglect annually. This April, state and local leaders are urging the community to renew our joint commitment to protecting our state’s youngest and most vulnerable.
On Tuesday, April 4 at 11:15 a.m., DCF, in collaboration with the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County, Glazer Children’s Museum, Eckerd Kids, and Bikers Against Child Abuse Florida will hold a media event at the Glazer Children’s Museum in Tampa to kick off the annual Pinwheels for Prevention campaign to raise awareness and prevention of child abuse in Florida. The event will also serve as the first official stop of the Prevent Needless Deaths “Warning Signs” Bus Tour.
Following the short program, the Glazer Children’s Museum will host more than 1,500 children and families for FREE admission from 12 – 7 p.m. Throughout the museum, dozens of community providers will have activities and distribute information on resources and services available to local children and families. Pinwheels for Prevention is a campaign to build individual, family, and community strengths to prevent child abuse before it ever starts.
- WHAT: Child Abuse Awareness Month Kick off & Official Stop of Prevent Needless Deaths “Warning Signs” Bus Tour
- WHO: Bikers Against Child Abuse Florida & Survivors
Honorable Katherine G. Essrig, 13th Judicial Circuit Judge, Dependency & Family Court
Kelley Parris, Executive Director of Children’s Board of Hillsborough County
Jen Stancil, President and CEO, Glazer Children’s Museum
Lisa Mayrose, Regional Managing Director, Florida Department of Children and Families
Keeping Kids Safe Partnering Organizations
- WHEN: April 4, 2017 at 11:15 a.m. (Free museum admission 12 – 7 p.m.)
- WHERE: Glazer Children's Museum, 110 West Gasparilla Plaza, Tampa (circle drive, located between the Tampa Museum of Art and Glazer Children's Museum)
- PHOTO/VIDEO OPPORTUNITY: Bikers Against Child Abuse; Prevent Needless Deaths Campaign Bus Tour; Children and families with pinwheels
- Day-of Media Contacts: Paula Scott, Children’s Board of Hillsborough County: (813) 204-1729; Kerry Fallwell, Glazer Children’s Museum: (813) 443-3805.